Keyword research is one of the most important factors when it comes to having a successful SEO campaign. It helps you figure out what people are searching for and where you should be placing your content. The proper keywords in your content will help drive traffic, increase revenue and build brand awareness for your business. Keyword research has been shown to skyrocket website rankings by over 100 spots on average.
If you are unsure where to start with keyword research, we will break down everything you need to know about finding the right keywords for building an effective digital marketing strategy.
What is keyword research?
Keyword research is the process of finding search terms, also known as keywords that people enter into a search engine like Google, Bing, and Yahoo. Keyword research aims to find out what your target audience searches for and how to rank for those keywords. You can’t optimize your website, target phrases for link building, or develop content for your audience if you don’t know what keywords to target.
Why is keyword research important for SEO?
Keyword research is essential as it impacts every SEO task that you perform, including on-page SEO, finding a content topic, content promotion, and email outreach.
- It provides crucial insight into the queries that your target audience is actually searching on Google. The insight that you can get into these actual search terms can help inform content strategy and your larger marketing strategy. However, keywords themselves may not be as important to SEO as you may think.
- Using keywords in blogs and outreach is a powerful way to drive traffic to your website.
- Keyword research provides you with specific search data that can help you answer questions like:
- How many people are searching for it?
- What are people searching for?
- In what format do they want that information?
- You can use keyword research to edit your existing site architecture and refine your new site’s copy. If you are simply updating your content for SEO, keyword research will help you determine whether your site can rank for other terms relevant to your industry or location.
- You can use keyword research to learn where you rank for keywords, which keywords are easy to rank for, and which keywords your competitors are ranking for.
How to identify keywords?
You probably have a few keywords in mind that you would like to rank for. It could be your products, services, or other topics you address on your website, and they are great seed keywords for your research, so get started!
A keyword research tool can be used to determine the average monthly search volume of those keywords. In addition, using a keyword research tool, you will be able to find other keywords, common questions, and topics for your content that you might not know about otherwise. You may notice that the search volume of those keywords varies greatly when discovering relevant keywords for your content. Even though you probably want to target terms that your audience searches for, you may find that keywords with a lower search volume are more advantageous since they’re less competitive. Learning more about the volume of searches for your target keywords can help you prioritize them and pick the ones that will give your website the best chance of ranking well.